Friday, November 30, 2012

Chicken Casserole & Smashed Kumara

It is my cooking night again and I have decided to go with one of my Dad's famous in-house recipes. It is so simple and tastes extremely good so thought it would be a handy one to share with all those who want to impress with their cooking skills without really doing too much work.


I was also asked today to write an entry for another blog on my crazy obsession for the super spice Turmeric so I thought that I could show an easy way to tie in a spoon or two into your diet without cooking a curry which people traditionally think of when using this wonder spice.

Check out link below to see what I wrote at The Mind Body Connect:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=376248009126953&__user=611785351

Happy Face :)
As I mentioned in a previous post my boyfriend Juan is from Argentina and his English is better than mine, but there are a few words that pop up now and again which are quite cute and make me smile - And so for the reasoning behind calling mashed kumara 'Smashed Kumara'. He thought all this time I was saying I was going to smash the kumara - LOL anyway I thought it was cute.

Once again I am cooking for my monster family of 6 so adjust proportions as you see fit! AND of course once again this is a dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free meal :)

Ingredients:
1Kg Chicken thigh cutlets
5 rashers of bacon
3 Onions
3 cloves of garlic (crushed or smashed hehe)
Couple of handfuls of mushrooms (these can be as much or as little as you want and of any variety of mushroom)
1 can of coconut cream
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1 tsp of Rice flour (to thicken)
1 tsp of Thyme
1 tsp salt
Pepper for seasoning

3-4 large kumara
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
2 tsp whole grain mustard
1/2 cup of Rice milk

Method:
 - Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
1. Cook diced onions and crushed garlic with a little bit of oil (grapeseed is preferable)  in a large oven proof dish over the element on a medium-high heat.
2. Cut chicken to desired size (however if they are small enough cutlets I just put them in whole) and add with bacon to dish when onion has slightly cooked.
3. Also chuck in the mushrooms and cook everything until the chicken has seared lightly on the surface (you do not need to cook the chicken completely as this will be done slowly in the oven)
4. Add coconut cream and chicken stock so that the chicken and other ingredients are just covered by the liquid.
5. Add Thyme, salt & pepper and stir through all the ingredients.
6. Sprinkle the rice flour over top and mix through thoroughly and you will see the liquid thickens a little bit.
7. Take the dish off the element, place the lid on top and put in pre-heated oven for 2 hours. During the cooking time of 2 hours it is advisable that you take it out of the oven half way through and stir slightly.
8. While the chicken casserole is in the oven peel, cut and boil the kumara until soft.
9. Add all remaining ingredients and SMASH it all together!

I served this also with steamed beans & broccoli - Do NOT forget to eat your GREENS !

Happy Healthy Eating Everyone !








Blogged by: Megan

1 comment: