Monday, November 26, 2012

Knitting - Baby Bootees

It seems since being back from Spain I am constantly surrounded by babies or pregnant women - Which by the way I am not complaining about! I love it :) It gives me the opportunity to steal my sisters knitting needles and give this knitting thing a go for myself!


I was first taught knitting by my Dad when I was about 10 years old - Back then I had very little patience so knitting got boring VERY quickly. It is something that runs a bit in my family, my Grandmother at 85 years old still knits every night for her red cross group and my sister also knits the odd baby bootee when someone gets a bun in the oven..

When I was 13 years old this white skinny girl with tattoos and a FOB accent came and lived with us, and since then Ona has been my 'adopted' sister - I love her to bits! I was living in Spain when she had her first child (Matias) but I am so happy that I will be around for her little girl to arrive in March. SO dusting off the knitting needles I have been getting to work and want to share a couple of pairs of bootees I have made for my niece-to-be :)

I have made 2 pairs - Newborn size (light pink with pink ribbon) & 3 months old size (dark pink with blue ribbon).

The smallest ones are a bit of a tricky pattern and took a few un-doing/re-doing moments so I will share with you the easier pattern. ANY stitch you don't know I recommend jumping on Youtube and you can find millions of videos to show you how to do the stitch (that is how I made the bootee!).


Size of needles: 2&3/4 with 3 PLY merino wool

BOOTEE (beg at sole)
1st row  - K1, inc in next st, K20, inc in next st, K1, inc in next st, K20, inc in next st, K1 ... 51 sts.
2nd & alt rows - Knit.
3rd row - K1, inc in next st, K22, inc in next st, K1, inc in next st, K22, inc in next st, L1 ... 55 sts.
5th row - K1, inc in next st, K24, inc in next st, K1, inc in next st, K24, inc in next st, L1 ... 59 sts.
7th row - K1, inc in next st, K26, inc in next st, K1, inc in next st, K26, inc in next st, L1 ... 63 sts.
Knit 9 rows garter st.

BEG INSTEP SHAPING -
1st row - K36, K2tog tbl, turn.
2nd row - Sl 1, P9, P2tog, turn.
3rd row - Sl 1, K9, K2tog tbl, turn.
4th row - Sl 1, P9, P2tog, turn.
Rep last 2 rows until 43 sts rem (16 sts either side of instep shaping).
Next row - Sl 1, knit to end.
Work 3 rows stocking st, beg with purl row.
Ribbonhole row - K1, *yfwd, K2tog, rep from * to end.
Next row - Purl.
Work 14 rows stocking st, beg with knit row.
Work a further 8 rows garter st.
Cast off loosely.

MAKE UP -
Using a flat seam, join sole and back seam. Thread ribbon through ribbonhole and tie a cute bow voila!










P.S The last photo is actually a little matching headband I am making so her tiny ears won't get cold :)

Blogged by: Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment