Friday, November 30, 2012

Top Electronic DJ & Producer for 2012 by Megan

It is no secret I have an alter-ego and her name is Piwi! When I am not blogging, cooking, working, looking after my nephew or aimlessly walking in the park I am in my bedroom (which is actually a garage lol) making electronic music! YES the BOOM BOOM TUKA TUKA kind of music!



This hobby stems from my recent history of living in Barcelona, where you can not avoid the insane party scene. Plus my boyfriend Juan is a developed DJ & producer originally from Argentina, and I seem to have that obsession of thinking I can do anything and try to do it better than the last. I feel sorry for Juan, it must be so annoying to be my partner haha.

Photo from Hotel ME, Barcelona 2011 - Piwi & John Late

Since moving back to NZ (temporarily!) I have found the scene for my kind of music does exist BUT it is very small and like any music world it is about networking and going out to meet people which I have to say here in Auckland is bloody EXPENSIVE! So for now while I spend my last few months in NZ  I am happy to lock myself in the studio and MAKE music like never before. Below I have added a link which will take you to an hour long set of music I put together from favorite tracks of September :)

Piwi Mix September

You can also follow me on Facebook:

Piwi Facebook

So with the Resident Advisor Top DJ poll for 2012 coming out soon I have made my selection of who I think the top 3 DJ's & top 3 Producers for 2012 should be.

Top DJ's for 2012:

1. Solomun


NB: I went to this party in 2011 - INSANE! Dancing on the beach by the airport with crazy aeroplanes flying over really low, a LOT of great people and the music just Top Dog! This is from the 2012 Off-Sonar party at Chiringuito Calamar (I have also played here once!! Lol claim to fame!)

2. Damian Lazarus
3. Art Department

Top Electronic Producers for 2012:

1. Maceo Plex


NB: Maceo Plex also with DJ alias Maetrik is seriously my IDOL. a LEGEND.

2. Soul Clap
3. Lee Foss

I am finishing off a couple of tracks in the next few days to be released - Watch this space so you don't miss out!! A lot of 90's rap inspiration coming through in these past few months with of course the tech-house flavors!

Blogged by: Megan

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Luke :) Here I focused on more the Tech-House genre as that is what I mainly play or party to! Disclosure are excellent however that UK garage sound only goes so far for me :)
      If you haven't already and you are into some heavy bass sounds check out Maceo Plex and a bit of his music - Super tech-house happy vibes but his basses are insane :)

      Delete